The Athens Area Society for
Human Resource Management
- The Society for Human resource management or SHRM is a not-for-profit association founded in 1948
- It was originally called the American Society for Personnel Administration or ASPA
- The goal in founding ASPA was to provide continued professional development opportunities for what the founding members recognized as a profession in transition, to promote national networking, and to generally advance the interests of the profession.
- The name was changed from ASPA to SHRM in 1989
- SHRM is the largest HR association in the world, representing more than 225,000 professional and student members in over 125 countries, and has a network of more than 575 affiliate chapters in the
- In the early 1950’s local “personnel administrators” organized the Northeast Georgia Chapter of ASPA
- The chapter encompassed 28 counties stretching from
- As the area closer to
- In 1994, the chapter changed to it’s current name the Athens Area Society for Human Resource Management or AASHRM
- AASHRM is an active organization with members from both private and public sectors representing a broad cross section of area employers.
- We hold monthly meetings that include a speaker or program, generally on the second Tuesday of each month
- The goal of these meetings is to provide HR professionals with the opportunity to network with colleagues while keeping abreast of the most current topics in our field.